Choosing a Sewing Machine: Which machine is right for you?
Following on from our Blog ‘Sewing Essentials -A guide to Starting your Sewing Journey’, we’ve decided to give an in-depth look into choosing the right Sewing Machine for you.
When deciding on a sewing machine and accessories there’s a few things to consider;
Firstly, what sewing projects would you like to use your machine for?
- Sewing classes
- Craft items, such as bunting, cushions, soft toys
- Quilts and blankets
Secondly, What budget do you have in mind?
- Under $150
- $150 -$250
Thirdly what features are you looking for? e.g. Buttonholes, Automatic needle threading, Embroidery stitch patterns?
Let’s review some of the best machines under $150:
- Currently on offer at just under $100 this machine has a lot of extra features for a beginner sewing machine. The Singer | Simple 3232 portable sewing machine has 32 built-in stitches including 19 decorative stitches an automatic needle threader and a built-in 1-step button hole. This machine is perfect for those learning to sew and those who are advancing their skills. (paidlinks*)
- The Brother XM2701 is another great choice for someone starting their sewing journey. This highly reviewed, lightweight machine has 27 built-in stitches, a one-step auto-size button hole setting which is a fab time saver when sewing garments. It also comes with a DVD instruction guide and a 25-year limited warranty. This machine is currently listed at $ 81.08. (paidlinks*)
Here’s some top picks between $150 – $250:
- First on the list in this price range is the Brother AE1700 Sewing Machine, at around $160 this machine gets fantastic reviews, with star ratings of 4.7+ on Amazon. Its stylish and compact and comes with 17 different stitch options. It also has some attractive features including a drop-in bobbin and LED light. This is a fantastic machine for beginners with a traditional metal chassis and easy stitch selection making it ideal for dressmaking and home furnishings.
- Next up is the Singer 7256 Fashion Mate. This elegant machine has an array of attributes including automatic needle threader, 70 built in stitches and 6 fully automated button holes! This sewing machine has all the features you need for practically any sewing project from home crafts, dressmaking, quilting and home accessories. At around $157 this is a great buy with many additional features to make sewing a truly enjoyable pastime. (paidlinks*)
- We’ve found another fab machine in this price range, at $238, the Janome JW8100 has some superior features making this a top choice for intermediate or advanced sewers. With a solid interior metal frame, 100 computerized stitch settings, large extension table and 7 button holes this sewing machine has everything you could wish for! It also comes with a hard case perfect for keeping the dust out and ensuring the machine is kept in pristine condition. (paidlinks*)
Machines over $250:
- Now we’re going to scrutinise the Brother SE400 combination Computerized sewing machine and see exactly what you get for your money. This is a top choice for an embroidery machine, perfect for sewing, quilting and embroidering. As well as a handy touch screen LCD display and a vast range of stitch options It is also capable of sewing 4” by 4” embroidery patterns which is great for embellishing clothing, blankets and quilts. It also has 5 built in embroidery lettering fonts to personalise garments, bags, blankets and more! Let your imagination run wild with this exciting top of the range machine. This one is a little more expensive at $319, but will have you hooked on sewing for years to come. (paidlinks*)
- Last but certainly not least is the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960; even the name makes this machine sound elite! Well it certainly has some outstanding features including 600 stitch designs incorporating different lettering styles to personalise projects, 13 button hole settings, automatic needle threader and thread trimmer to give garments that professional finish. This is a speedy machine sewing at 850 stitches per minute and also comes with an extensive range of feet and accessories. This one’s coming in at $306 making it one of pricier choices but has the capabilities to provide endless creative possibilities! (paidlinks*)
I hope this helps give you an insight into the different machines available on the market and the variety of features they have to offer. Happy shopping…. And sewing!!
All prices correct as of 21st September 2018.
Gina Renee Designs acts as an affiliate marketer for Amazon.com. *As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Download Your Free Guide/Tutorial Now